Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I blame Gina and Denis Leary.

I had big plans I tell you.
Big Plans!
It seems they have been all for naught.
I'm so dramatic.
                                              The banjo guitar from Casa Del Sol in Barie, ON

As of Friday 3:30pm I have been off work for March Break.
My last day of work was  a grade one class.
There was a girl who, before the class started, came into the room all smiles and sat down on the carpet, turned to me and said "Fuck." 
I nod my head, An interesting day is ahead of me.
I had one girl head butt another girl.
"It's not like I hit her like this," Shows me a punch in the air, "I hit her like this." Shows me a quick head butt, also to the air.
Also a young boy made a plastic chain noose type thing put it around a girls neck and yanked.

Needless to say I was looking forward to my break.

I had these grand plans that I was going to get a whole mess of work done and do some more writing.
Set up my music equipment, test out some song layering, work on photo's book more shows, work out... All this kid of stuff I get to tired to do after a day of teaching.

I blame Gina and Denis Leary (just like the title)
Gina Bought me a Wii and I have been playing that quite alot. Just the Mario games.
As Well, Mr Leary, I have discovered your show Rescue Me. Very entertaining, sir.
Allas the combination of these two things have taken up much of my time.
I get up in the morning, go for a run. (I'm not as fast as I was) piddle on the internet, send emails update this and that, whatever. then end up watching the show or playing my game. Usually both.
Horrible.
Maybe I need this break?
I've been pushing myself quite a lot do the paying job, research for touring, find gigs, find places to show my art, write a blog, work out. I kinda miss being 14. I didn't do anything when I was fourteen, and the day lasted forever! Now the day is over in two hours and I never get everything done.

Enough of that.
So the yearly celebration for March 14th just happened, If you don't know what it is look it up.
                                            Here's a hint though. it's from the Keg and that is my desert.
           That's also a delicious double rye and coke.    

Continuing on.

I talked Gina out of a week in Cuba, and because of this I am currently booking a very short New York tour, last week in May.
"No baby, I swear New York will be way more fun that a week in an all exclusive resort. We'll stay in hostels, eat sparingly, drive long hours. It's going to be awesome!"
And to help out with my booking I've been using this site.  http://www.indieonthemove.com
It's pretty good but only deals with the US. has a pretty extensive list of venues per state with comments by people who have played there. It's saved me a lot of time for finding venues. But now I've got to play the waiting game, and see if I get any responses. I've got one gig booked in New York City so far.
hoping to get something on he way down as well as the way back in Buffalo, Rochester, or Ithica,  something like that. We shall see. If I don't end up with anything. That will be ok. Since it is a little holiday for us I don't need to "work" every night.
I have a pet peeve. It's those showcases that some miscellaneous  promoter will put on. The rules are: buy 10 tickets  for $7 or $8 a piece and sell them, then you can play our venue, What a profit for a band.
"You mean we get to promote for you sell your tickets perform at the show AND get $20? (if we sell all the tickets)"
I sent off an email to a bar called The National Underground and they responded with "We'd love to have you play here.... then.... Just so you know you have to buy these tickets and sell them."
I'm a touring act. I'm not from the city let alone the country, and you want me to sell tickets?
Needless to say I will not be playing at The National Underground Downstairs.


I have done this type of show before in Toronto. The one I did was called Hotboxxx it's run by a guy named Dante. I didn't sell all my tickets (only 2) so my set was cut I only got to play 3 songs.
It's more of a entity for bands that have not played anywhere before, and haven't figured out how to book a show. 
I think these types of shows could be et up better. For one The promoter should not take 70-80% of the earnings from the band. They are selling the tickets and playing the show. Plus $10 for 10 unknown and sometimes terrible bands is not appealing to the public. Either bring in a known band for all these  newbies to play before or charge $5 dollars and get some kind of drink special so that we may get drunk while listening to the out of key solos that go on too long. 
Well enough of this. 


I've got some art shows coming up that will be the next blog topic. Mario is a callin'!

-Neil
www.eyeswide.ca
www.neilcrowe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment